Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Shades of Gray

Homework - Imagine this word written with such distain that my fingers are literally cringing on the keyboard as I write it. It's a hot topic for some parents - an inferno to others.

I embrace summer because not only do I get to let the kids be kids for a brief period, but I get a brief respite from the King's expectations of homework. The perception is that children should joyously walk through the door after 6 hours of school and happily plant their behinds at their desks for another 2 hours to commence the education process, and then study ahead for another hour or two to get ahead of the class. And don't you dare move from that seat until it's all finished. Mental breaks be damned!

Pardon my rant this morning. After another long day at work, I come home to Prince Michael's beloved camera being taken away. He was warned the previous day that he is to come home, sit down, and not move until his homework is completed.

Just prior to my arrival, Michael was caught outside before his homework was done - because he was throwing rock salt out on the driveway in anticipation of today's snowstorm.

There is no doubt that children are better off for having two parents. Kids have different skill sets and experiences to pull from each. However, these different skill sets and experiences sometimes make each parent want to kill each other because they just don't see things through the same pair of eyes.

Because Prince Michael decided to do something nice, but not his homework, the King's Black and White view of life immediately kicked in. The King sees it as a personal afront to his wishes and Dooms Day predictions ensue that Prince Michael will be a peasant for the rest of his life. It is duly noted that I "let this happen", even though I just walked through the door.

As a teenager I remember quite well that homework was a task I detested. Other priorities, like socializing, were far more preferable. Though Prince Michael is an average student, he possesses an outgoing personality that most people compliment us on. He makes goals (earn enough money for an SLR camera, clean the garage without being asked, etc.) and achieves them.

There is no doubt in my mind that the King is correct, Prince Michael's average grades won't get him into the University of Camelot. But working in the Kingdom of Workplace Requirements for over 20 years, I believe it's gumption and great personalities that make people successful at work. Prince Michael knows that because his grades are not great, he will end up paying his way through college - the royal jewels are not as plentiful as we'd like.

For Prince Michael, this will be a lesson learned a bit later. I did, and I still think life is pretty damn good. I will continue to reward good behavior, and hand out reasonable punishments for poor behavior, but at the end of the day, you can't change a person's nature or attitude; they must decide to do that for themselves. Why kill yourself trying?

No comments: