Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ahhh, thunder storms...

After another lovely day in the office, I drove home under a gray sky where storm clouds seemed to be speeding along much faster than I was. (Oh wait, I was sitting in traffic...good chance they were moving faster.)

My six year-old, Princess Brianna, has somehow developed a horrible fear of thunder storms, so I was ready to put on my Consoling Cloak of Protection the moment I threw off my high heels.

When I stepped through the door, the thunder was nearly upon us. I stepped over to the sliding door with Princess Shannon and Prince Michael to view the African dancing trees as they swayed further than I would even attempt to bend my body.

"Come hither, Princess Brianna, all is well," I said. "Queen Mum will hold you, don't fret."

With trepidation, she began moving in my direction when Prince Michael declared, "Look! It looks like a tornado! Look at that cloud over there...it looks like a funnel coming down!" That's the last time I'm letting that kid watch The Day After Tomorrow.

Before I had a chance to get my hands around his little royal neck, Princess Brianna retreated to the hallway with hysterical sobs where her tears rivaled that of the rain pouring outside.

I told Princess Brianna to retreat with me to my bedroom. Naturally all three decided to tag along. I had read a folklore story the same day about Quackling, a duck that had loaned a King some money, but refused to pay it back. So I relayed this story while the thunder clapped and lightning burst.

After I finished my story, all three clamored to tell their own stories. By the time these stories (which turned into plays) ended, so did the storm.

So I find that consoling words only do so much...distraction is the key. Julie Andrews, of course, knew this already.

No comments: