Monday, June 4, 2007

DO NOT break down!

Two weeks ago Princess Shannon came to me in the morning "Queen Mum, my stomach hurts." Sure, she may have been telling the truth. There had been a little something going around the school, but I was wary. She had confessed to not liking school quite verbally within that previous week.

After going through the motions, "Let's check your temp.", "Have you gone #2 lately" etc., etc, she seemed she SHOULD be fine. The true QM SHOULD have made her go to school, but Princess Shannon found me in a weak moment. I was not in the mood to hear whining that morning, and I envisioned her going off to school and me being called by the school nurse just as I reached my office, "Hello, Mrs. Mum, your daughter just puked all over her math quiz. Please come and pick her up. Oh, and by the way, she told us that she informed you her stomach wasn't feeling well before leaving for school this morning." So instead I said, "Alright you can stay home for today."

Suddenly, I was the best mom in the world. "I'll get all my reading done, take care of the dog, blah, blah, blah." Gee, that stomachache certainly wasn't inhibiting her mood anymore.

Later when I checked in, King Pop said she had no issues and seemed quite well. OK, so she got away with a free day.

Children do not have a very good sense of time; barely 2 weeks have passed, and Princess Shannon again gives me the "I have a stomachache" line. She was smarter this time though, she started planning her 3 day weekend by verbalizing these pains the night before.

QM might break down once in awhile, but not this time. This is where the story of the little boy who cried wolf comes in. If she is sick, I want the nurse to save that puked-on piece of paper, and then perhaps I will apologize to Princess Shannon.

Don't break down. Once you do, they'll try to get you at every turn.

No comments: